Data protection privacy notice for patients
In providing your dental care and treatment, we will ask for information about you and your health. Occasionally, we may receive information from other providers who have been involved in providing your care. This privacy notice describes the type of personal information we hold, why we hold it and what we do with it.
We are The Buckley Practice Ltd at 31 Tweedy Road, Bromley, Kent BR1 3PR
Sean Buckley is responsible for keeping secure the information that we hold about you. Those at the practice who have access to your information include dentists and other dental professionals involved with your care and treatment, and the reception staff responsible for the management and administration of the practice.
Our Data Protection Officer, Holly Jackson, ensures that the practice complies with data protection requirements to ensure that we collect, use, store and dispose of your information responsibly. You can contact our data protection officer, Holly Jackson, by email at [email protected] or by phone on 020 8460 742.
Information that we collect
We may collect the following information about you:
• Personal details such as your name, date of birth, national insurance number, NHS number, address, telephone number and email address
• Information about your dental and general health, including
– Clinical records made by dentists and other dental professionals involved with your care and treatment
– X-rays, clinical photographs, digital scans of your mouth and teeth, and study models
– Medical and dental histories
– Treatment plans and consent
– Notes of conversations with you about your care
– Dates of your appointments
– Details of any complaints you have made and how these complaints were dealt with
– Correspondence with other health professionals or institutions
• Details of the fees we have charged, the amounts you have paid and some payment details
Sean Buckley (Practice Owner) and Holly Jackson (Practice Manager) are responsible for keeping secure the information about you that we hold.
Our Data Protection Officer, Holly Jackson ensures that the practice complies with data protection requirements to ensure that we collect, use, store and dispose of your information responsibly.
Those at the practice who have access to your information include dentists and other dental professionals involved with your care and treatment, and the reception staff responsible for the management and administration of the practice.
How we use your information
• To provide you with the dental care and treatment that you need, we require up-to-date and accurate information about you.
• For our NHS patients, we will share your information with the NHS in connection with your dental treatment.
• We will seek your preference for how we contact you about your dental care. Our usual methods are telephone, email or letter.
• We may use your contact details to inform you of products and services available at our Practice.
Your information is normally used only by those working at the practice but there may be instances where we need to share it – for example, with:
• Your doctor
• The hospital or community dental services or other health professionals caring for you
• NHS payment authorities
• Private dental schemes of which you are a member.
We will only disclose your information on a need-to-know basis and will limit any information that we share to the minimum necessary.
In certain circumstances or if required by law, we may need to disclose your information to a third party not connected with your health care, including HMRC or other law enforcement or government agencies.
Keeping your information safe
We store your personal information securely on our practice computer system and in a manual filing system. Your information cannot be accessed by those who do not work at the practice. Only authorised team members have access to your information (on a need-to-know basis). They understand their legal responsibility to maintain confidentiality and follow practice procedures to ensure this.
We take precautions to ensure security of the practice premises, the practice filing systems and computers.
We use high-quality specialist dental software to record and use your personal information safely and effectively. Our computer system has a secure audit trail and we back-up information routinely.
We use cloud computing facilities for storing some of your information. The practice has a rigorous agreement with our provider to ensure that we meet the obligations described in this policy and that we keep your information securely.
We keep your records for 10 years after the date of your last visit to the Practice or until you reach the age of 25 years, whichever is the longer.
Access to your information and other rights
You have a right to access the information that we hold about you and to receive a copy. You should submit your request in writing or by email. We do not usually charge you for copies of your information; if we pass on a charge, we will explain the reasons.
You can also request us to
• Correct any information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete. If we have disclosed that information to a third party, we will let them know about the change
• Erase information we hold although you should be aware that, for legal reasons, we may be unable to erase information (for example, information about your dental treatment)
• Stop using your information – for example, sending you reminders for appointments or information about our service
• Supply your information electronically to another dentist.
If you do not agree
If you do not wish us to use your personal information as described, you should discuss the matter with your dentist. If you object to the way that we collect and use your information, we may not be able to continue to provide your dental care.
If you have any concerns about how we use your information and you do not feel able to discuss it with your dentist or anyone at the practice, you should contact The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF (0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745).
Review date: 2019
31 Tweedy Rd, Bromley, BR1 3PR
Make an Appointment
Appointments are currently being made over the phone or by email only.
Mon, Thu & Fri: 9am – 5.30pm
Tue: 9am – 8pm
Wed: 9am – 6.30pm
Saturday: By appointment only
If you are in need of an emergency appointment in normal working hours then please call us on 020 8460 9742. If you are calling outside normal working hours, then please call NHS 111.